Cross Culture Communication

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Is Japanese life affected by superstitions?

 I think that Japanese life is affected by superstitions. For example, four is an unlucky number in Japan. Four is pronounced as shi and death is pronounced as shi in Japanese, so they are same pronounciations. Therefore there aren't the room numbers with the fours in some hospitals and hotels. People want to avoid the number four. There are also many other superstitions in Japan. Some people continue to believe some superstitions from a childhood.

What superstitions do you practice? Which ones? Why?

 It is the superstition that we don't feel nervous if we write the character "person" three times in a kanji on our palm with our finger and assume to drink. I often practice it because I am liable to feel nervous. If I practice it, I feel as if my feeling were relaxing. I have heard the opinion that there is a pressure point to relax around the center of our palm. If we write the character, the pressure point makes us relax.

2 Comments:

Blogger HJU Teacher said...

Interesting comments. Keep up the good work!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Winnie the Pooh said...

I also write the character "person" on my palm when I feel nervous. However, I'm surprised because I don't know that it has a relaxing effect actually.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home