Cross Culture Communication

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Feelings


1. Are feelings emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?

Yes, they are. How to express about them may be different in each country, but I think they are basically common all over the world. Especially smile is a universal facial expression.


2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. (10 minimum) Now write the English translation.

happy(楽しい), sad(悲しい), painful(苦しい), hard(つらい), angry(怒る), envious(羨ましい), love(愛する), hate(嫌う), scary(怖い), disappoint(がっかりする), glad(嬉しい), regrettable(悔しい)


3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?

Yes, there are. I have no good example, but Japanese has much vague expression. Therefore, I think that there are any feelings in only Japanese.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rolf said...

I have a good expression that doesn't translate well into English for you: お疲れさま. I know what it means, but I have no way to translate that because its not a feeling we generally have. The idea of appreciation of communal/ individual effort.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home